Sunday, January 11, 2009

Unedited Rant Number 1

I was wanting to write something, but the muses only seem to visit me during the most impractical time and in the most impractical places. A car ride, a moment before sleep, in the middle of the work day; these are the times they visit me most. When I am in front of my computer screen, when I am faced with a million distractions that fail to distract me; these are the times when they abandon me to the vast nothingness and apathy that seem to be the units of the day. Great phalanxes of nothingness seem to crowd around me while everyone else pursues a dream or at least a dream of a dream.

I try and write when I cannot. I remember once I tried to write a paper for philosophy and muses stayed far away. Here I was a day or two ahead of schedule, and they wouldn't visit to me. The day before the paper, it seemed like there wasn't enough that could be written or said. Why is that? Why is the world so cruel as to make even the easy things hard? And why am I and an handful of others the only people that really care?

Why don't we treat our philosophers right? I suppose it is because we are all philosophers; and if we start acknowledging that truth, than we would have to treat everyone properly. I have met so many people who have bought into the myth of unkindness. They do not even have skin that is very thick at all. They are like bad actors trying to be so very unkind because they think that is what is required of an human being. Is acting like professional lying? Why is lying to ourselves and others so important to ourselves? I don't have any answers. I am hoping something triggers something and I can write.

The truth is I want to write something right now. I want to say something important only to me. No one else will care the way I do and I even realize that it doesn't really matter except to a small group of my friends. I want to shout and curse down the sun and the moon and all the satellites of the cosmos; but after the primeval yalp ... what will I have really done. Oh, to not think so very much; especially about a blog post.

2 comments:

powermadrecluse said...

Crap, I just figured out a great topic. It was about a the super hadron collider and some conversations I had about it. I have been meaning to comment about it for some time. Curse you muses and your terrible timing.

Spencer Troxell said...

In my experience, the muses usually respond well to verbal abuse. Maybe you wouldn't think it, but they're very into S&M.