Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer in Ohio

Summer in Ohio

    Its finally summer time in Central Ohio.  The sky is gray and filled with rain and people have been working on lawns and house projects.  The tulips and daffodils finished blooming a while ago and now it is time for the irises and daylilies to finish their cycle.  A talk with a good friend of mine by the name of Spencer Troxell reminded me of something my dad said a long time ago.  Spencer asked if I was being to harsh on people what with my criticisms; and that reminded me of how my dad said he was going to avoid writing anything nasty on his blog.1
    While none of us should be Pollyannas with rose-colored glasses and happy mindless babble; I think I have spent far too much time in the stuffy ivory towers of human perfection.  When I say that we humans have issues and problems, its nothing new.  The problem is that many of us can get so frustrated that the world is not the way it should be, that we often sound angry.  Our idealized world becomes more important the world around us.  We forget to look at people as people.2
    So as I stare out my windows and onto the world around me and think of tomorrow and its promises of a good walk with a friend of mine, I think that maybe I am not taking life seriously enough.  The serious fact that I didn't make a beautiful day and if I didn't, than maybe it was created for me to enjoy.
    



  1. An almost herculean effort to be sure in this day and age of foaming-at-the-mouth-ideologues.
  2. I was going to argue this point in this blog post, but it seems more appropriate to argue it in a footnote where it won't disturb the flow of the rest of my post and it will fulfill the requirement for my response.  Mr. Troxell pointed out that I was too hard on humanity and that we have god complexes.  He is right.  I believe we all want to be, not just the hero of our story, but the gods as well.  Whether that is good or bad is up to you and your philosophy.    I believe I am too hard on people because we ignore just how wonderful it is to be human.  Here is a bit of a paradox because in my criticism I am actually ignoring their humanity which has built into the capability of doing monumentally stupid things, but also can look up at the stars in wonder.  It is pretty amazing that no matter who we are, we all seem to look up at the stars in wonder.  I get frustrated when people just don't think too much, but I think way too much for anybody.  I suppose that is projection of desires for people to think more about what they do.  Big deal, its my way.

        I also was told I didn't have to write so much, but I like to write.  So whatever.

No comments: