Saturday, October 31, 2009

Freedom (A Reformation Day Blog Post)

Freedom (A Reformation Day Blog Post)





Today found me wandering the streets of Bexley, Ohio in aluminum foil with a foreigner in search of food.  It isn't everyday I do this mind you.  My friend and I commented that it would be impossible to do this in a month or so, but halloween affords people a great chance to do things that are normally frowned upon by society.  Of course neither of us were going to a party.  I had been invited to one, but I just didn't feel like going.  However, I had also heard about Chipotle and aluminum foil and so at seven o'clock I found myself in a line waiting to get a burrito.
    It had really started at work when someone told me about the goings-on at Chipotle.  All I needed was a piece of aluminum foil and I could get a free meal.  I got off work and promptly went to sleep.  Upon waking up I got a piece of aluminum foil from my roommate, Seth, and figured that would be the end of it.  I would just turn it into a necklace and throw it around my neck.  I would get by with the bare minimum.  Indeed while waiting in line I saw people who had done just that.  I took a nap, got a shower, and called my friend from another country.  He and I picked up groceries and then we decided to buy aluminum foil for the event.
    But what to be?  Well, in case most of you don't know, its Reformation Day.  Most Americans (Christians included) don't know about this day.  It is the day when Martin Luther nailed the 95 theses to the doors of Wittenberg Church protesting the sale of indulgences.1  Though the work wasn't meant to be circulated throughout Christendom, the invention of the printing press pretty much led to this end.  Rome and Luther went back and forth, and that children is where Protestants come from.
    I got back to my room, opened web pages with Martin Luther's German mug on them, broke out my permanent marker, and drew Luther on one side and the Lutheran Seal on the other.  I put it on and walked down the street.  It was fun standing in line and I got to talk with some kids about Reformation Day, Monty Python, and history in general.  I came back and finished my burrito with my friend and we watched Gladiator.  The movie throws out the word freedom a lot and my friend and I got to talking about what it means to be free.
    Of course I can talk about the Freedom to wear aluminum foil in public or to talk about my faith, but freedom means a lot more than all that.  Too often we view Freedom as the ability to do what we want, rather than the ability to be who we were meant to be.  My friend told me how he was glad to have come to the United States to study, but how homesick he could be.  He told me how he regretted not going to a concert, but at the time didn't know how he could have gone.  I find it interesting how both incidents have joy and pain.  Each of our decisions is like that.  With every choice we get some pain along with the joy; which is one of the most overlooked aspects of freedom.  I can remember hating to get up in the morning to fly to cities when I worked for the airlines, but I wouldn't trade one of those trips for an extra hour of two in bed.
    In 1517, when Luther nailed the ninety-five theses to the doors of Wittenberg he was captive to the freedom on the Word.  He would sacrifice everything even "life, goods, honor, children, or wife."  We are so removed from that time that freedom is taken for granted.  If one looks around one can see that everywhere people are in chains.  We like chains, they feel comfortable after awhile and we don't mind the excuse for boundaries.  We say that the simplest things are courageous, but real courage is not in what we do, but in who we are willing to become.  And it is sad that in that regard we Americans who have so much are upstaged by a medieval monk from nowhere.


notes



1 The last thing I want to do is to misrepresent the other side, but here is a brief history of indulgences.  During the crusades people in Western Europe were worried that if they killed they would go to Hell.  In order to counteract this, the Pope said he would pardon anyone involved and give them an indulgence.  That worked well for the crusaders, but not for people who could not fight and yet still were worried about their immortal souls.  So the church of Rome said that with a donation, the people wouldn't have to worry about Hell.  Years later, Rome would still be giving out indulgences for donations.  In Luther's time, Pope Leo X wanted to build a new church in Rome.  He thought that indulgences (and borrowing money) was the perfect way to handle it.  However, Luther took issue to the fact that people were paying to, in essence, get out of Hell.  Ergo, the ninety-five theses.  Oh, and the church that Leo built can still be seen today.  It's called St. Peter's Basillica.  It is amazing what you can buy if you are willing to split apart Christendom.

2 comments:

Spencer Troxell said...

I've come to possess a deep appreciation for the invaluable stretch of pavement Luther laid down on the historical road that lead mankind from blind faith to free thought.

Good post. I like the image of you walking around in aluminum foil too, but in a totally un-kinky way.

Anonymous said...

謝謝分享好文章........................................