Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm Done Protecting You.

I'm Done Protecting You. 



(It's late and I didn't proofread this.  I try and be more positive, but I think this needs to be said.  I think Hebrews would back me up.)


I'm tired.  I'm tired of protecting those who don't want to be protected.  I am tired of analyzing those who don't want to be analyzed.  I'm tired of listening to those who don't listen.  In short I am done protecting the remnants of the Republican party.  I suppose, though I am doubtful, that there are those hovering around the outer rim of a party they once believed in; but now feel themselves isolated by a party more full of venom and vitriol than of the great ideas of their forbearers.

It didn't used to be that way.  There used to be a time when the Republican party stood for something worth standing for.  There used to be a time when Eisenhower and T.R. and Lincoln boldly took views that were unpopular with the leading people. There was a time when writers of the party were not afraid to be marginalized by asking deep and important questions.  I know many of my current Republican acquaintances would say, "We still do."  No, not anymore.  there was a time when the Republicans would listen to those answers and thoughtfully disagree.  Now, it is all about thoughtless ignorance of other people's opinions.


The failure of the Republican party wasn't complete for me until just recently.  I have always considered myself a staunch (albeit hard to digest) moderate.  I am a contrarian by nature, so being fully allied and against any party has been an unpalatable choice.  I never thought that I would be so against one of our major political parties.  However, it has become apparent that that day has come.

So I abandon you to the fate that you have proscribed for yourself.  I allow you to wrap yourself in the mantle of hatred and stupidity.  I allow you to hide in the obscure recesses of your self-imposed exile.  I would reach out to you, but you do not wish to hear me speak.  I have grown too tired of talking (me of all people too tired of talking) to try and reason with you.  I am a moderate democrat now because you have left me here behind with your reason and hope and joy.  I will await your return to the land of sinners, which we all must dwell in to be made more holy by grace.

I would not mind so deeply the fact that you had gone were it not for the fact that rather than being people of the city on a hill, you have become pharisees.  You condemn the problems of the world, but do nothing to alleviate them.  So many non-Christians I talk to are amazed that I am a Christian because I listen to them and their problems.  So many non-Christians are amazed that many of us Christians are Christians because of what has happened.

Some facts: Christ never promised that we would not be exploited by poor people who live lives on welfare forever and ever.  Christ never promised that we would control government.  Christ never promised us that we would get a nice house and fancy car if we followed him.  Christ never promised that we could keep guns.  Christ did ask that we pay taxes though.

The fact is I am done protecting the far right, who has unfortunately morphed into the "right" itself, because you are done protecting Christ.  You don't make sacrifices with joy to help people.  When I think of the Christian Conservative, I think of an angry person who clutches to the false straws of "an ungodly president".

I share your blame.  I do not make the sacrifices I should.  I do not help the poor as I should.  I do not volunteer for causes like I should.  I do not even love my neighbor as myself.  But if you do these things without the joy of Christ in you, than you are just as guilty as if you had never done them at all because you are doing them for yourself and by yourself without the love of Christ in you.

I will end with this.  I do not know where my good friends from college stands on his political views, but I can imagine he is a conservative.  He loves God with all his heart, mind, and soul.  I have never met a happier person who loves his wife and child so much.  It would be nice if my friend were the rule and not just a random example I have to give.  I think we would all do our best to remove our sack cloth and ashes and go and live with the happy abandon of Christ's love.  If that sounds a little too drastic for you, than maybe we


2 comments:

Spencer Troxell said...

There are certainly some elements within the ranks of both parties that are unattractive, but I don't necessarily think it's so bad as all of that. Membership in a party doesn't de facto make you a member of some hive mind. There are plenty of members of the republican party that are thoughtful, not crazy, and are simply free-market advocates who are uncomfortable with spending. Not everyone is burying guns in their backyard. A week or so ago, I posted a poem that was pretty antagonistic to the tea parties, and certain strains that appear in them. Aside from sparking a nearly 40 comment long discussion afterwards, I was put in check by one conservative republican who wasn't buying into the wild-eyed hysteria that seems to sweep through a crowd. He humbled me, and I thanked him for it. When everyone else is choosing sides and engaging in outgroup homogenization error, it's important for those of us who can to step back, and try not to partake. I think this is the sign of a truly discriminating intellect, and one of the only safeguards against absolute polarization. Refuse the false dichotomy of us or them, and you'll be glad you did afterwards. Others probably will be too.

Teresa said...

Hmmm. Interesting post Phil. I can tell you are very frustrated with the Republican party and call them "hateful" but I noticed the post was lacking in specifics. Can you please point specifics so we know exactly what is frustrating you and maybe then further deal with your concerns?