Friday, May 1, 2009

Guess Where I Am

Guess Where I Am



So, I had some paperwork that I needed to finish up for seminary.  I had thought I had finished it, but I got a call recently saying that they never got it.  After having the program close on me on my Macintosh, I racked my brain and decided to fire up the old Dell using the Windows Operating System.  It worked out okay after that.



Now many of you Mac haters will use this as an example of why Windows is better.  However, it is obvious what happened, the people making the program rushed out the Mac version while focusing on the Windows Version (because 95% of the world uses it).  I think there is a lot to be learned from this.

I live in constant fear that one of my programs on my Window's machine will crash.  I live with the fear that my entire system will crash in fact.  The notion of saving early and often came with the rise of Windows.  One never hears of NASA in the space age1  or the old punch-card machines needing to be backed up early and often.

In addition to this, I fear a lot of viruses.  I fear inadvertently having my identity stolen. 

I guess its nice to come back to Windows, kind of like coming back to a part of town you used to live in, but that is now run down and dilapidated.  We like seeing where we grew up, but we make it back to our homes on OS X or Linux before nightfall to get the real work done.

I guess my biggest problem is that in order to really do what needs to be done with a system, people have to be bold.  America is a country that has become a shadow of the innovative powerhouse it used to be.  We used to make bold steps with this innovation or that innovation, but now the only innovations are introduced by Billy Mays and tell how we do can live a life with more stuff that will make it simpler.

It would be nice to see large companies really try and make OS X and Linux viable for the workplace.  There are thoughts that such a changeover would be expensive and problematic.  It would save money in the long run though.  (Switching to Linux would be practically nothing.)  It seems that with all our screaming and squawking for corporate freedom, we forget that the innovations they preach are rarely ever the innovations they practice.  The corporation will work much harder at keeping everyone down as compared to work to innovate.

If we move to a more efficient, secure, and intelligent system, it will not solve all our problems; but it will drive us forward to capturing the ideals we used to hold.  It may even allow us to get paperwork in on time.



  1. Though one might be able to make an argument why those guys were such ... well for lack of a "G" rated word ... awesome heroic people.  They might have been using Windows and just been tired of all the crap. that went on with it.  Maybe a predecessor to Windows caused Apollo 13.

No comments: